Is A Long Island Iced Tea Strong
- In spite of the fact that it contains five different kinds of liquor, the Long Island Iced Tea is not nearly as powerful as other mixed drinks when measured out according to the standard formula.
- If you use liquors with an alcohol proof of 80, triple sec with an alcohol proof of 60, and top it up with two ounces of soda, the resulting alcoholic content will be in the region of 16 percent ABV .
You May Like: Can Green Tea Help With Weight Loss
How To Make Johns Long Island Iced Tea
It really is simple recipe. John likes to start with a cup of ice in a large pitcher. Then he adds 1/2 cup each of vodka, white rum, triple sec, 3/4 of a cup of tequila, 1/4 cup of gin, 2 1/4 cups of sour mix and 1/2 cup of cola such as Coke or Pepsi. Stir and pour into high ball glasses filled with ice and enjoy!
Classic Long Island Iced Tea Recipe
Is there a cocktail more infamous than Long Island Iced Tea? This classic cocktail is a feisty one, with five different liquors and just a splash of sweet and sour mix and Coca-Cola.
While this isnt typically a cocktail that most people enjoy daily, it IS a fun one and since it contains almost every type of liquor, a lot of drinkers wont turn one down, no matter what they usually drink. Its especially refreshing on a hot day, so try making a big pitcher of this for your next pool party or BBQ!
Read Also: Can Matcha Tea Help You Lose Weight
What’s In A Long Island Iced Tea
Some people have asked, does the Long Island iced tea have alcohol in it? Boy does it ever!
The Long Island iced tea is the liquor-cabinet equivalent of what the kids once called a “suicide soda” . On the face of it, the Long Island Iced tea doesn’t seem tenable: Vodka, rum, gin, tequila, triple sec all mingling in the same cocktail glass, tempered only by a dash of sweet and sour mix and a splash of cola. Sounds like trouble. And obviously it can be.
But it’s undisputable, this cocktail proves itself an unlikely success, and a prime example of when the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Tossing all of these strong spirits together somehow softens the edges off of each individual spirit. It’s a marvel of science, frankly. Somehow this cocktail, seemingly of odds and ends from the liquor cabinet, manages the impossible: it actually tastes good. Very good. So be careful out there, folks.
What Can I Mix Bacardi With
Bacardi Blossom. 1-1/4 oz. Bacardi Light Rum. 1 oz. Orange Juice. 1/2 oz. Bacardi Champagne Cocktail. 1 oz. Bacardi Silver Rum. 1 tsp. Sugar. Dash Bitters. Bacardi Cocktail. 1-1/4 oz. Bacardi Light Rum. 1 oz. Roses Lime Juice. Bacardi Collins. 1-1/2 to 2 oz. Bacardi Light Rum. 2 tsp. Frozen Lemonade or Limeade Concentrate.
Recommended Reading: What Are The Benefits Of Elderberry Tea
Don’t Miss: What Tea Is Good For Stomach Inflammation
Frozen Long Island Iced Tea
This frozen Long Island iced tea is a boozy, umbrella-bedecked blender drink riff on the traditional raid-your-liquor-cabinet classic of five liquors topped with a splash of cola that packs a doozy of a wallop. The thing is, this cockamamy combo of liquors actually tastes fairly innocuous. And therein lies the danger.
How Much Tequila Do You Put In Long Island Iced Tea
It is simple to adjust the components of a Long Island iced tea to reflect your own preferences. Experiment with different amounts of tequila, for instance. You should use one ounce if you like a more robust flavor. In this recipe for a Long Island, you should use a half ounce if you want the drink to have a more subdued flavor. The Test Kitchen for Taste of Home.
You May Like: Is Ginger Tea Good For Migraines
Recommended Reading: What Is Thyme Tea Good For
Long Island Ice Tea Sausalitos Recipe
Bar Sausalitos is known for its delicious and especially large version of the Long Island Iced Teas cocktail. This is basically the original recipe with adapted quantities for the jumbo version. Cheers!
Ingredients for Long Island Iced Tea with Whiskey:
- The preparation of the Long Island Iced Tea Cocktail is very easy. Put all ingredients into a glass filled with ice and stir a few times.
- Garnish the cocktail with a few slices of lemon or lime and thats it!
What Are The Best Spirits For A Long Island Iced Tea
- Quality value Tequilas like Espoln Tequila Blanco and El Jimador Silver are great options.
- Bacardi White Rum or Captain Morgan are excellent choices. Theyre good rums that arent too expensive.
- A good vodka, such as Titos Handmade Vodka or New Amsterdam Vodka, is all that is required for a Long Island Iced Tea.
- Long Island Iced Tea pairs well with classics like Beefeater or Tanqueray, as well as New Amsterdam Gin.
- Although Cointreau is a well-known brand of triple Sec, feel free to use one that is less expensive, such as DeKuyper. Even though Grand Marnier is a combination of cognac and triple Sec rather than straight triple sec, its a good substitute if thats all you have.
Also Check: Where To Find Valerian Tea
Ingredients In Long Island Iced Tea
When there are equal parts of five liquors in a cocktail, one liquor should not overpower any of the others. The goal is to achieve balance in the cocktaileven one that packs as much of a punch as the Long Island Iced Tea. To do that, you’ll need quality spirits, but not necessarily high-end spirits.
Top shelf bottles, or small-batch artisanal spirits from the local distillery, can be used in this recipe, but their nuances will get lost in the mix. The LITas a bar server would call itis perfectly happy with the tried and true middle shelf brands of these spirits.
- Tequila: Tequila Blanco is an unaged tequila that’s also known as silver or white tequila. Espolòn Tequila Blanco and El Jimador Silver Tequila are quality value tequilas that will work well in an LIT.
- Rum: Captain Morgan White Rum or Bacardi White Rum work really well in a Long Island Iced Tea. They’re good rums that don’t break the bank.
- Vodka: An LIT doesn’t need your favorite vodka, just a well-made vodka like Tito’s Handmade Vodka or New Amsterdam Vodka.
- Gin: Standards such as Beefeaters or Tangueray are perfect for Long Island Iced Tea, as is New Amsterdam Gin.
- Triple Sec: Triple Sec is a sweet, orange flavored liqueur. Cointreau is one brand of well-known triple sec, but feel confident using one that has a lower price tag such as DeKuyper. If Grand Marnier is all you have in your liquor cabinet, it’s a fine alternative even though it’s a blend of cognac and triple sec, not straight triple sec.
On Long Island How Many Shots Are There
3 shots =.75 oz vodka +.75 oz gin +.75 oz rum +.75 oz tequila +.75 oz tequila + 1.5 oz triple sec Long live the LIIT, the king of alcoholic dive bar drinks. This monster still has two full shots of pure hard alcohol in addition to the lower-proof triple sec. It is, after all, towards the bottom of the list.
Recommended Reading: How Many Calories Are In Twisted Tea Half And Half
Why This Makes The Best Long Island Iced Tea Recipe
We promise: this LIIT is nothing like the sweet and artificial flavor you might be used to. This is a classy Long Island Iced Tea recipe: full of bright citrus flavor. Heres how to make it the best way:
- Use real lemon, not sour mix. Thats right! Do not even think about using store-bought sour mix here. Real citrus brings the best zingy flavor.
- Use Cointreau, not Triple Sec. Cointreau is an orange liqueur manufactured in France that has an orange perfume flavor. Its more sophisticated than your average Triple Sec.
- Use good liquor. Sure, you can use low quality booze if its all you have. But the better the liquor, the better the drink!
Long Island Iced Tea Ingredients
The Long Island Iced Tea is a highball cocktail made with 5 liquors: vodka, tequila, rum, gin and orange liqueur. Mixed together with cola, the drink has a brown color like iced tea . The modern version of this cocktail was most likely invented in 1972 by a bartender in Long Island, New York: hence the name.
The LIIT took off and became so popular that it made the list of the International Bartender Associations IBA official cocktails, earning it an official definition. The Long Island Iced Tea ingredients are:
Recommended Reading: Where To Buy Long Island Iced Tea
How To Make Long Island Pitcher
If you are scaling the cocktail to serve at a party then add all the ingredients apart from the coke into a pitcher and chill. Add ice to the pitcher just before serving and give everything a good stir. Pour into glasses filled with ice and top with cold soda.
This is an simple drink to scale up simply multiply 15 by however many servings you want. To serve a crowd of 8 for example you will need 15x 8= 120ml of each of the spirits, lime and lemon plus ice and coke.
Its easy to pour very generous measures if you are making a pitcher so be careful when serving your party could get out of hand very quickly!
Which Glass Do I Use To Serve The Long Island Iced Tea
The right cocktail glass is a must for a good cocktail. After all, you want to conjure up a special moment with a cocktail. The shape of the glass is also decisive for the taste. Each glass shape has different effects on the content. For example, a bulbous shape like wine glasses allows more air to get into the liquid. A thick base, like a tumbler or old-fashioned glass, means that the glass is heated less by hand and the contents stay cold longer.
Long Island Iced Tea is usually served in a tall beaker, the so-called highball glass. The content of this type of glass is usually 240 to 350 millilitres. The high glass brings out the colour of Long Island Iced Tea particularly well. In addition, there is enough ice to keep the drink nice and cold.
You May Like: What’s The Best Green Tea On The Market
Organic Long Island Iced Tea
Those who value organic food do not have to do without it when mixing Long Island Iced Tea. Most of the ingredients needed to prepare Long Island Iced Tea are also available in organic quality:
- Organic lemons are available in most supermarkets
- Organic sugar is available in organic shops either as whole cane sugar or as organic beet sugar.
Read Also: How Do You Make Boba Tea At Home
Tip: Use Quality Liquor
Want to avoid a hangover after an afternoon of sipping some Long Island cocktails? Make sure youre using quality liquor. Mixing liquor can often lead to a headache but this is even more true when drinking cheap liquor. Theres no need to reach for top-shelf bottles but definitely dont use the cheapest bottles possible.
You May Like: What Do You Need To Make Boba Tea
How Strong Is Long Island Iced Tea
The five liquors make Long Island iced tea seem like a strong drink, but if you do the math, it’s not terribly potent compared to other cocktails. When you pour 80-proof liquors, 60-proof triple sec, and top it with 2 ounces of soda, its alcohol content falls in the 16 percent ABV range. That is about the same as a strong rum and Coke and half the strength of a gin martini.
Can You Drink Long Island Iced Tea Straight
Classic stuff. Come to think of it, standing up straight is something you decidedly will not excel at after drinking a couple Long Island Iced Teas. With Cointreau instead of Triple Sec, higher-caliber spirits instead of well booze, and Mexican Coke, this drink becomes not only palatable, but enjoyable.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Steaz Green Tea
Don’t Miss: Is Tea Good For Diabetics
How To Make The Long Island Iced Tea Cocktail
After you measure out the ingredients, pour into cocktail shaker.
Gather the ingredients tequila, gin, gold rum, vodka, triple sec, lemon, simple syrup and Coca-Cola.
Measure 2 ounces lemon juice.
Measure 1 ounce triple sec.
Measure 1 ounce simple syrup. I didnt take a photo of it for some reason. Maybe all the booze got to my head even though I hadnt drunk any yet.
Add more ice to the two glasses, cap the shaker, shake for 15 seconds and divide between the two glasses. Get the Cola and lemon wedges.
Fill the glass up with the Coca Cola, which usually equates 1 1.5 ounces per drink.
Squeeze the juice out of each lemon wedge into the cocktails. One per drink.
Lets look at the vertical view.
Remember, that this is a dangerous drink because, if well blended, it does taste like iced tea, so you wont feel how strong it is going down!
I hope you enjoyed this Long Island iced tea cocktail recipe!
Recommended Reading: How Many Carbs In Twisted Tea Half And Half
Prep And Combine The Ingredients
Although Long Island Iced Teas made in bars often include bottled sour mix, here fresh lemon juice takes the place of this. Slice and squeeze a lemon and measure out 2 tablespoons . You can also cut a few slices of lemon to use as a garnish.
Measure out all of the different alcohols and add them to a cocktail shaker . You won’t need a jigger to do this since, as it just so happens, ½ ounce = 1 tablespoon. Add the honey and lemon juice, as well. Stir these ingredients to combine, then add a few ice cubes.
Read Also: Does Gold Peak Tea Need To Be Refrigerated
Variations On The Long Island Iced Tea
The Long Islands popularity has generated its own family of highballs. Many drinks have now become popular in their own right in many parts of the United States, thanks to the success of the original Long Island Iced Tea. Here are some variations:
- The Grateful Dead is a variation on the Long Island that uses the same ingredients as a Long Island but replaces the Triple Sec with a shot of Chambord and the cola with lemon-lime soda.
- is a Long Island Iced Tea variation made with Blue Curaçao instead of Triple Sec and lemon-lime soda instead of cola. It has a striking blue tint that resembles a Blue Hawaiian.
- When cranberry juice is used instead of cola, the outcome is a reddish-colored Long Beach Iced Tea. When Midori is swapped for Triple Sec, and lemon-lime soda is substituted for Coca-Cola, the result is a greenish Tokyo Iced Tea.
Also Check: Is Snapple Diet Tea Good For You
Gather The Ingredients To Make A Long Island Iced Tea
The Long Island Iced Tea, as any bartender can tell you, is made with all of the clear bottles on the bar rail: vodka, light rum, gin, and tequila. It’s also got a little triple sec to give it some sweetness. While you can use high-end spirits if you like, the beauty of the LIIT is that it pretty much tastes the same when it’s made from bottom-shelf booze.
In addition to the alcohol, this recipe also contains honey, lemon juice, and a splash of cola. You’ll also need some ice cubes to chill the drink and mint sprigs and lemon slices for garnish, if desired.
Recommended Reading: Where Can I Buy Turmeric And Ginger Tea
Grateful Dead / Purple Rain / Black Superman
All these names constitute the same variation for a long island iced tea where the Triple sec is replaced with Chambord.
Chambord liqueur has a 16.5 percent alcohol volume and is a raspberry-flavored liqueur modeled after a liqueur made in Frances Loire Valley.
The cola of this version for this version of the long island iced tea is also replaced with lemon-lime soda.
These two ingredients give the cocktail a dark hue, and thus that is how the names were established.
Why This Drink Is So Popular
This drink is famous, no doubt about it.
You do have to be careful when enjoying a Long Island Iced Tea because the alcohol content is quite a bit higher than most highball drinks. So be sure to enjoy them responsibly. But that is why this drink is so popular, because you can feel it pretty quickly.
This popular drink is made by combining vodka, tequila, rum, gin, and triple sec, then mixing those with sweet and sour mix. Everything is topped off with cola and served in a tall glass over ice. It looks like iced tea, but its not.
Don’t Miss: What Green Tea Helps With Weight Loss
Is Triple Sec A Alcohol
A refined citrus liqueur known as triple sec is often manufactured by distilling neutral alcohol derived from sugar beets along with dried orange peels. In order to create a liqueur with a well-rounded flavor profile, Llords uses dried peels from lemons and oranges grown in Seville, Spain. These peels range in sweetness from bitter to sweet.