How To Make Long Island Iced Tea
You can build your Long Island Ice Tea in the glass: so you dont have to dirty a cocktail shaker or spend time shaking! The only time involved here is measuring out each liquorwhich does take a few minutes because there are so many components! Heres all you need to do to make this easy drink:
- Stir:;Pour the components into a highball glass. Add ice and stir.
- Garnish:;Add a lemon wedge if desired.
The History Of Long Island Iced Tea
Before we get into the ingredients, it is important to learn a little something about this beverage, where it comes from and what its cultural background is. Now, it is believed that a man named Robert Butt has invented Long Island iced tea in 1972. He allegedly invented this drink to enter a contest sponsored by Triple sec. The name for this drink was inspired by his workplace at the Oak Beach Inn on Long Island, New York.
On the other hand, there is a claim that the drink was first invented in the 1920s during the Prohibition era in the United States. It is believed that the drink was invented by an Old Man Bishop in a Long Island community in Tennessee. This, however, seems to be a different type of Long Island iced tea as it had some different ingredients. Nevertheless, the variations to the drink became a standard, as different communities added their local twist to the drink. Nowadays, bars across the country and the world serve, of course, the standard, original version of Long Island iced tea, but surely enough, other varieties seem to be gaining popularity with different communities and consumers. Some of the most famous Long Island iced tea include Long Beach iced tea, Tokyo Iced tea, and the Adios iced tea.
Raspberry Long Island Iced Tea
For something that cuts away at the strong Long Island Iced Tea, try adding raspberry liqueur.
- ¾ ounce freshly squeezed lemon juice
- ½ ounce simple syrup
- ½ ounce London dry gin
- Raspberries for garnish
Also Check: Where To Buy Green Tea Ice Cream
Long Island Iced Tea Is Based On Molasses Rum And High
The base for Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea is a molasses rum made from the brand’s production. Spirits such as vodka, tequila, and gin are also used and, of course, triple sec liqueur. Every single ingredient that goes into this Captain Morgan is of excellent quality and ensures that you should not underestimate this cocktail.
Other Ingredients For Long Island Iced Tea
- Cranberry juice you can use cranberry juice instead of Coca Cola; it will make the drinks taste a bit different, but cranberry juice mixes well with all the alcohol, so it is surely a great Long Island iced tea variation.
- Lemon/lime soda if you want to add some sparkle to the drink, but youd avoid Coca Cola once again, try ordering/making you drink with lemon/lime soda. When using the lemon/lime soda you can also try leaving out the fresh lemon juice, just to avoid making the drink too citrusy.
- Pineapple juice again, to avoid adding Coca Cola, you can try making the drink with some pineapple juice; this will make your drink even more exotic and it will surely taste great.
- Whiskey a popular addition for a Long Island iced tea variety, whiskey is a great choice to spice things up. You can replace any of the alcohols with whiskey, by adding ½ oz; we recommend you use Jim Beam or Jack Daniels of course or even try using the whiskey sour mix.
- Actual tea you can try replacing Coca Cola with actual tea; we recommend you go with Hibiscus or Jasmine tea, or basically any other herbals or flavored tea blend. Just make sure that the tea has been cooled down, or even cold brewed so it fits the drink properly.
Also Check: Where Is The Expiration Date On Gold Peak Tea
California Residents: Tap Here For Proposition 65 Warning
|WARNING: Drinking distilled spirits, beer, coolers, wine and other alcoholic beverages may increase cancer risk, and, during pregnancy, can cause birth defects. For more information go to www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/alcohol
|WARNING: Many food and beverage cans have linings containing bisphenol A , a chemical known to cause harm to the female reproductive system. Jar lids and bottle caps may also contain BPA. You can be exposed to BPA when you consume foods or beverages packaged in these containers. For more information, go to: www.P65Warnings.ca.gov/BPA
The Story Behind The Long Island Iced Tea
According to legend, the Long Island Iced Tea was originally named the Old Man Bishop after a gentleman who created the drink during Prohibition its sweetness making it difficult for teetotalers to identify it as alcoholic. But history always has multiple perspectives; bartender Robert Butt claims that it was he who invented the drink in 1972 while participating in a cocktail contest at the Oak Beach Inn in Long Island, N.Y.
Known as one of the booziest and most iconic cocktails coming in at a whopping 22 percent ABV the Long Island Iced Tea combines five different spirits in a symphony of flavors. Equal amounts of vodka, rum, tequila, gin, and triple sec are joined by simple syrup, lemon juice, and a splash of cola to create a unique beverage that belies its strength.
Also Check: What Is The Best Tea For Weight Loss
How Much Does Instacart Delivery Or Pickup Cost
- Delivery fees start at $3.99 for same-day orders over $35. Fees vary for one-hour deliveries, club store deliveries, and deliveries under $35.
- Service fees vary and are subject to change based on factors like location and the number and types of items in your cart. Orders containing alcohol have a separate service fee.
- Tipping is optional but encouraged for delivery orders. It’s a great way to show your shopper appreciation and recognition for excellent service. 100% of your tip goes directly to the shopper who delivers your order.
- There may be a “pickup fee” on your pick up order that is typically $1.99 for non-Express members. Express membership waives this like it would a delivery fee.
- Pick up orders have no service fees, regardless of non-Express or Express membership.
Experts Tips For Long Island Iced Tea
You May Like: What Is The Healthiest Green Tea To Buy
Also Check: Is Green Tea Good For Digestion
Long Island Iced Tea Nutrition Facts
- Jojo Recipes
- Recipes Made with Mothers Love
This is the best Long Island Iced Tea recipe of all time! This Long Island Iced Tea recipe is one hot mess of a drink. The recipe reads more like a frat house hazing than one of the worlds most popular cocktails. And yet, somehow, it works. Long Island Iced Tea is a cocktail made with vodka, gin, tequila and rum and was first served in 1970. Many claim to be the creators of this young-at-heart staple, but this version is the real deal. And while the name of this classic cocktail is misleading, very few actually liken the taste to a real iced tea.One thing we know for sure is that this cocktail has certainly made a name for itself outside of Long Island. The drink has a much higher alcohol concentration than most highball drinks due to the relatively small amount of mixer.The Long Island Iced Tea is a curious cocktail. In spite of the name, a Long Island Iced Tea contains no tea! Long island iced tea made with five types of liquor and a splash of cola gives this cocktail its deceptive look and name.Whatever your view of the Long Island Iced Tea is, it is a popular drink and one that every bartender should know. The Long Island Iced Tea is one of our favorite guilty pleasures!
Best Long Island Iced Tea Recipe
Read Also: What Tea Helps Lower Blood Sugar
The Long Island Iced Tea Standard Ingredients
In the following paragraphs, we are going to take a look at the standard Long Island Iced Tea ingredients. Overall, Long Island iced tea contains five shots of alcohol, a sweet and sour mix, and fuzzy drink or juice, according to your preferences;
- Vodka When it comes to making Long Island iced tea, it is important to start with vodka. Now, you cannot use the standard vodka; the vodka for this drink needs to be good for mixing and blending with other alcohol and ingredients. Therefore, you will need ½ oz of good, mixing vodka. We recommend you use the Finlandia vodka, which is excellent for mixing drinks. It is somewhat strong and has a bitter aftertaste, but in combination with other Long Island ingredients, it creates a perfect flavor.
- Gin Another important Long Island iced tea ingredient is gin. You will need ½ oz of best-dried gin for this drink. Just like the vodka, the gin you use needs to be able to mix well with other alcohol and ingredients. Therefore, we recommend you use the Beefeater gin, which is great because it is both spicy and fruity, and creates a great balance in the drink. This gin is dry but has a wonderful herbal bouquet and a citrus aftertaste. This makes it perfect for the Long Island iced tea. You can also try using the Bombay Sapphire gin, which is also ideal for mixing gin in cocktails.
Don’t Miss: What Brand Of Green Tea Is The Healthiest
What Happens If Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea Is Out Of Stock And I Need To Give Specific Instructions
- Find Best Match: By default, your shopper will use their best judgement to pick a replacement for your item.
- Pick Specific Replacement: You can pick a specific alternative for the shopper to purchase if your first choice is out-of-stock.
- Don’t Replace: For items you’d rather not replace, choose “Don’t replace” to get a refund if the item is out of stock.
A Few Substitute Ideas
What if you dont have the entire laundry list of liquors on hand, but still want to make an LIIT? Here are a few ideas for some substitutions:
- Vodka, tequila, or gin: Leave one of these out and double one of the other liquors. For example, if you dont have gin double the tequila. But try to have at least 3 of the 4 main liquors.
- White rum: Use another type of rum if you dont have white on hand. Aged adds a sophistication to the flavor. Or again, you can leave it out and double one of the other liquors.
- Cointreau: Want a;Cointreau substitute? Use Triple Sec, Grand Marnier or Orange Curacao.
Also Check: Does Detox Tea Work For Alcohol
How To Serve Long Island Iced Tea
Normally use Collins glass, Hurricane glass or a High-Ball glass to serve this great drink.
What Is A Long Island Iced Tea Cocktail
Despite the name, Long Island Iced Tea doesnt actually contain any tea.
It is traditionally prepared with the following ingredients:-
Tequila white Tequila, also known as silver and blanco.Rum white Rum, like Bacardi.Gin Bombay Sapphire is one of our favourites.Vodka such as Smirnoff. Triple Sec can be replaced with Cointreau.Lemon Juice freshly squeezed is the best. You can also use freshly squeezed lime juice.Coke you can use diet or regular Coke. Usually served with just as splash, although you can add as much or little as you like depending on how strong you like it!
Also Check: Is Gold Peak Green Tea Good For You
Read Also: Where Can I Buy Loose Tea
What Is Long Island Iced Tea
Long Island Iced Tea is a strong alcoholic beverage and one of the all-time great highball cocktails. And, this is in the top 5 most requested cocktails in the world. Ã It is typically made with Vodka, Tequila, Light Rum, Triple Sec, Gin and a splash of cola.
This drink is boozy but delicious and refreshing. This drink has a much higher alcohol concentration than most highball drinks with a relatively small amount of mixer.
Long Island Iced Tea was given its name because it looks like a traditional iced tea by its colour due to the added Cola. There is no actual tea in this drink. It mostly tastes like cola with added orange and lemon juice. So, due to its high alcohol content, it can sneak up on you because it doesnÃ¢â¬â¢t taste the alcohol so much when drinking it.
For The First Time Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea
As a pre-mixed drink, Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea is highly practical. The cocktail of Captain Morgan comes surprisingly close to the freshly mixed model. Reddish brown in the glass and Caribbean-aromatic, it is ideal for the next party or a cozy evening with friends. Simply pour the drink on ice into a Collins glass and your enjoyment can begin.
Also Check: What Tea Is Good For Endometriosis
Long Island Iced Tea Origin
A slightly different drink is claimed to have been invented in the 1920s during Prohibition in the United States by an Old Man Bishop in a local community named Long Island in Kingsport, Tennessee. The drink was then perfected by Ransom Bishop, Old Man Bishops son. This drink included whiskey and maple syrup, and varied quantities of the five liquors, rather than the modern one with cola and five equal portions of the five liquors.A Long Island Iced Tea is a type of alcoholic mixed drink typically made with vodka, tequila, light rum, triple sec, gin, and a splash of cola, which gives the drink the same amber hue as its namesake. A popular version mixes equal parts vodka, gin, rum, triple sec, with 1 12 parts sour mix and a splash of cola. Lastly, it is decorated with the lemon and straw, after stirring with bar spoon smoothly.Robert Rosebud Butt claims to have invented the Long Island Iced Tea as an entry in a contest to create a new mixed drink with triple sec in 1972 while he worked at the Oak Beach Inn on Long Island, New York. The Adios Mother is considered a variation of the Long Island Ice Tea or a Blue Hawaiian.
Why This Makes The Best Long Island Iced Tea Recipe
We promise: this LIIT is nothing like the sweet and artificial flavor you might be used to. This is a classy Long Island Iced Tea recipe: full of bright citrus flavor. Heres how to make it the best:
- Use real lemon, not sour mix. Thats right! Do not even think about using store-bought sour mix here. Real citrus brings the best zingy flavor.
- Use Cointreau, not Triple Sec. Cointreau is an orange liqueur manufactured in France that has an orange perfume flavor. Its much tastier than your average Triple Sec.
- Use good liquor. Sure, you can use low quality booze if its all you have. But the better the liquor, the better the drink!
You May Like: How Much Is Tea At The Ritz London
Icebox Long Island Iced Tea
A perfect solution for parties this mix has all the classic flavour of a Long Island Ice Tea cocktail without all the work, all you have to do is add your favourite cola. Medium amber colour; aromas of citrus, orange and juniper; medium sweet with flavours of orange, juniper and lemon tea.
A Note About Relevant Advertising
We collect information about the content you use across this site and use it to make both advertising and content more relevant to you on our network and other sites. This is also known as Online Behavioural Advertising. You can find out more about our policy and your choices, including how to opt-out here.
Recommended Reading: What’s The Best Green Tea On The Market
Captain Morgan Has Amazed Rum Lovers Since 1944
The brand Captain Morgan stands out for its wide range and Caribbean-inspired rum creations with which they have been convincing their customers since 1944. The name Captain Morgan goes back to the same named Welsh pirate Henry Morgan who, in the 17th century, was infamous for his numerous raids in the Caribbean. Always up-to-date and continuously innovative, Captain Morgan is now an absolute authority on the spirits market.