Is Yerba Mate Better Than Energy Drinks
Mate Libre Yerba Mate drinks are better than energy drinks because they are made with a naturally occurring caffeine infused from the Yerba Maté leaves. Mate Libre drinks will leave you feeling energized in about 15-30 minutes without the jittery, anxious buzz commonly experienced after other energy drinks.
Yerba Mate Tea Health Benefits
- Increases Energy & Vitality
- 18 Bleach Free Tea Bags / Box
- Non GMO
- No Artificial or Natural Flavors
- No Artificial Sweeteners
- Cover and steep to taste.
- Remove tea bag and enjoy!
Free Shipping on orders over $50.
*On orders placed in the United States. Learn More
100% Money Back and Satisfaction Guarantee. NO questions asked!
Yerba mate originated in South America. The Guarani Indians in the highlands of Brazil, Paraguay, and Argentina introduced yerba mate to the Spanish in the 16th century. The yerba mate tree is a member of the holly family and possesses a fresh and refreshing taste that can only be found in a cup of tea brewed from the leaves of this special tree. Today, yerba mate is more readily available thanks to online merchants like Buddha Teas, making it possible for you to enjoy this well-kept secret from Brazil.
When Should I Drink Yerba Mate
Yerba Mate is drinkable at many–if not all— times and occasions except before bed . As it is naturally caffeinated, Yerba Mate beverages are the perfect replacement for your morning coffee, an ideal digestive after lunch to avoid a food-coma, or an evening pick-me-up before a night out as an alternative to other energy drinks!
You May Like: How To Get Matcha Out Of Carpet
Wait Back Up Yerba Mate Is Caffeinated
Yerba mate is, in fact, an herb with caffeine. Ive seen a lot of people refer to yerba mate as an herbal tea though which can be very problematic. You dont want someone drinking this thinking its a normal herbal tea and drinking it before bed.
It also has way more caffeine than any camelia Sinensis tea. Its very close to the caffeine levels of coffee.
Camelia Sinensis tea has 26 mg or less of caffeine in one cup. Yerba mate, on the other hand, has 85 mg! Coffee is only 100 mg of caffeine per cup!
This makes yerba mate a happy medium if you need more than a cup of tea, but dont want the spike of energy from coffee.
You might also be interested in reading
Our Recommendation For Vegans
Future Kinds Essential Vitamins: This is our favorite multivitamin. Its not the typical multivitamin because it was formulated to specifically address potential shortcomings in the vegan diet. It contains the essential vitamin B12, vitamin D, and Omega-3 fatty acids delivered in necessary doses so you dont have to worry about potential deficiencies. Want to learn more about it? Check out the review we did on it.
You May Like: Does Twisted Tea Have Beer In It
A Substitute For Coffee
Yerba maté is a gentle, energizing tea. In fact, it has been said to even rival coffee, lasting longer and not presenting the drinker with the feelings of a crash. Some people who might have a mild caffeine intolerance have found that they can enjoy yerba maté with fewer unpleasant effects, making this tea an excellent alternative to coffee.
What Are The Health Benefits Of Yerba Mate Tea
Drinking mate tea has numerous health benefits for your mind and body.
- Boost your energy levels and increase your mental focus: yerba mate contains caffeine, usually referred as mateine, which is known for stimulating the mind making you feel more awake and energetic.
- May improve physical performance: caffeine is known to reduce exhaustion, enhance muscle contractions and increase athletic performance up to 5%. As yerba tea contains caffeine its supported that people drinking it will benefit.
- Abundant in Antioxidants and nutrients: mate drink is rich in antioxidants that help the body maintain the level of oxidants in the body. In other words, it slows the ageing process in the body, therefore considered to have anti-aging properties.
- May assist in weight loss and reduce belly fat: researchers have found that yerba mate tea decreases appetite and can aid the metabolism, assisting with weight loss.
Also Check: What To Add To Green Tea To Make It Taste Better
How To Prepare Yerba Mate Drink In A Few Simple Steps
Preparing Yerba mate for the first time is very simple. Have your mate tea, mate gourd and bombilla ready and follow these instructions to make the best mate.
- Fill your mate cup with ¾ of yerba mate leaves.
- Cover the top of the gourd with your hand and shake it to make the dust go up.
- Make a montanita with the yerba leaves: a slope of 45 degrees.
- Pour some warm water at the lowest part of the slope to soak the leaves .
- Insert your mate straw across the slope.
- Add hot water and your yerba drink is ready. Drink and repeat this step until the yerba tea loses its taste.
Caffeine Content In Yerba Mate
Yerba mate is often described as a beverage with the energy kick of coffee, the smooth flavor of traditional tea, the healing components of herbal tea and the feel-good factor of chocolate. In fact, the yerba mate plant contains caffeine, theophylline and theobromine, the stimulants also found in coffee, tea and chocolate.
As with any beverage made from a caffeinated plant, the caffeine content can vary depending on how the variety of plant, how it was processed and how the herb was brewed. Some yerba mate plants can even vary in strength of the flavor, caffeine levels and other nutrients depending on whether its a male or female plant female plants tend to be milder in flavor and lower in caffeine.
Generally, the caffeine content of a yerba mate beverage is typically more than black tea but less than coffee. If youre watching your caffeine intake, always ask your tea vendor for the caffeine amounts specific to the yerba mate you purchased.
Read Also: Does Menoslim Tea Work
Yerba Mate Traditional Loose Leaf
A tea-like infusion beloved in South America, yerba mate is brewed from the emerald-green leaves of a type of holly native to the Atlantic Rainforest.
The naturally caffeinated leaves have 24 vitamins and minerals, 15 amino acids, and abundant polyphenols. This particular strain is rich, robust, and balanced, with a complex earthy body and a smooth, mellow finish.
organic yerba mate
Where To Buy The Best Yerba Mate
If you want to try the best yerba mate money can buy, you will have to buy it on Amazon. Here you will find a broad range of mate brands that are difficult to encounter in your local retail stores. You can opt to try various mate teas and products that contain yerba mate at an affordable price and for reasonable shipping costs.
Purchasing your yerba mate teas and accessories online can present you with unique opportunities for discount offers, promotional prices and low costs for bulk buys. Only this way you will be able to experience the many assortments of this energy-boosting drink and find the best yerba mate for your taste.
You May Like: Is Lipton Tea Good For Pregnancy
May Protect Against Infections
Yerba mate may help prevent infections from bacteria, parasites, and fungi.
One test-tube study found that a high dose of yerba mate extract deactivated E. coli, a bacteria that causes food poisoning symptoms like stomach cramps and diarrhea (
Furthermore, in a 12-week study in overweight people, those given 3 grams of yerba mate powder per day lost an average of 1.5 pounds . They also reduced their waist-to-hip ratio by 2%, which indicates lost belly fat .
In comparison, the participants given a placebo gained an average of 6.2 pounds and increased their waist-to-hip ratio by 1% over the same 12-week period .
SUMMARY Yerba mate may reduce appetite, boost metabolism, and increase the amount of fat burned for fuel. This could help you lose weight.
What Is Yerba Mate
Ilex paraguariensis, by its botanical name, or yerba maté, is a tree that grows in southern countries of South America, mainly Argentina, Brazil, Uruguay and Paraguay. Yerba Mate leaves are naturally caffeinated and picked and dried for consumption, traditionally infused in a calabash , using the bombilla and by adding hot water.
Mate Libre uses these same leaves to offer a refreshing, tangy, floral, slightly sweet and energizing beverage. Learn more about yerba mate
Also Check: Boba Drinks At Dunkin
Our Ecoteas Yerba Mate Source
We source our organic, fair trade yerba mate from a four-generation family farm in the state of Misiones in northeastern Argentina. To read the story of how we discovered this beautiful farm, go here.
We coined the term UNSMOKED to describe the unique drying method that our farmers employ, which uses warm air instead of the typical wood smoke to dry the leaves after harvest. Visit our Unsmoked Yerba Mate blog for more information on the benefits of drying yerba mate with warm air versus smoke.
After drying, our yerba mate is aged for a minimum of nine months to allow the flavor to mellow.
Our family farmers are committed to ecological farming. Their traditional methods leave dense corridors of native forest intact. We have partnered with our farm to plant thousands of native trees within the yerba mate groves to create shade, stabilize soil, and promote biodiversity.
Fair trade dollars from the sale of ECOTEAS yerba mate have funded a variety of projects including infrastructure development, school construction, health care access, and a village playground.
About Yerba Mate Utensils
The traditional method of drinking Yerba Mate involves two vital utensils. The first is a dried and hollowed-out Gourd used as a cup.
The second is a straw known as a Bombilla in Spanish or a Bomba in Portuguese. We stock both accessories here, although its worth noting that the latter item requires curing and, ultimately, caring. It’s perfectly natural to find paper-like debris inside, as well as the odd seed or two. To remove this debris and prevent the Mate Gourd from splitting, you may like to buy our Yerba Mate Kit, please follow these steps:
- Fill your Gourd halfway with pure mate.
- Fill the remaining half with boiling water.
- Allow the mate to soak for 24 hours.
- Pour the brewed mate out.
- Thoroughly scrape the inside of the Gourd walls with a spoon.
- If required, repeat this whole process.
- Rinse your Gourd one last time with hot water.
- Brew up and enjoy.
Type of Tea: Herbal Tea.
Origin: Brazil, South America.
Brewing Instructions: Brew using freshly boiled water left to cool to temperatures between 80 and 90 degrees. Infuse for 3 to 6 minutes.
How to Serve: Consider adding sugar. Otherwise, this Tea tastes best without additions.
Tasting Notes: Yerba Mate boasts a strong, earthy aroma. Upon the first sip, expect smoky, wood flavours reminiscent of the Amazonian landscape from which it originates.
Colour in Cup: Golden-green liquor, light in tone.
You May Like: Green Tea Cold Or Hot For Weight Loss
What Does Argentinian Mate Taste Like
Yerba mate tea even though many times its considered a tea, it has a slightly different taste. Having grown in the Atlantic forests of South America, traditional mate tea has an earthy andintensive taste with bitter notes.
However, the best thing about yerba mate is that it can be adapted to every palate. Different yerba mate plantations produce different variations of the mate tea, so you can find strong and energizing yerba mate or herbal mate tea with added mint for example. For people who prefer a sweeter taste you will find delight in the flavored yerba tea like the orange or passion fruit blends.
Rest assured that you will find one or more yerba mate drink especially for you to buy.
Why Yerba Mate Is Natures Version Of Adderall
The reasons why people drink Yerba Mate are endless. Given that its packed with vitamins, minerals, stimulants and antioxidants, some drink it for health. Others drink it because it gives them a reason to get away from the noise of the world and focus on one thing and one thing only: preparing and drinking Yerba Mate.
Recommended Reading: Best Tequila For Long Island Iced Tea
How Yerba Mate Grows
The yerba mate tree is a species of the holly family with leaves that are evergreen and produce small fruit berries that flower into greenish white flowers. The leaves and tender stems are often hand picked then dried in a controlled environment. They are sometimes roasted over a wood fire before they may be broken or cut to create the final herb for consumption. Some yerba mate is even aged in cedar or other wood for up to a year or more for added flavor.
The highest quality yerba mate is shade-grown under the rich rainforest canopy and away from direct sunlight. This shelter allows the leaves to retain more of their nutrients and flavor than plants that are exposed to the sun. Wild yerba mate trees are harvested only every two years, because their leaves take longer to fully develop. Whereas cultivated trees are harvested at the end of each winter, because they grow faster due to careful pruning, sun exposure and water control.
Yerba mate is grown and processed all over South America. Today, Brazil is the largest producer of the herb, followed by Argentina and Paraguay.
How To Prepare Yerba Mate
Yerba mate is traditionally served in a container called a gourd, also known as a calabash.
Its commonly sipped through a metal straw that has a filter on its lower end to strain out the leaf fragments.
To prepare mate, fill the bottom third of the calabash with dried or toasted mate leaves prior to adding hot water.
If you do not own a calabash, you can prepare it in a French press.
Although traditionally consumed hot, yerba mate may also be served cold, especially in hot climates.
SUMMARY Yerba mate can be consumed hot or cold and is prepared similarly to other loose teas. Its traditionally served in a gourd, or calabash.
Don’t Miss: How To Pass A Math Test Without Studying
What Type Of Yerba Mate Tea Should I Buy
There are many options of yerba tea that you can order at our store. If you are looking to purchase your first mate tea, we encourage you to try the traditional blends for a classic taste. However, you might find your preference in one of the other types of mate so here is a list of everything you will find at our yerba mate store:
- Traditional: classic yerba mate composed of dried leaves, twigs and dust. This is the most popular type of mate tea and how it’s drank in South America.
- Flavoured:in this subcategory, the yerba tea blends have added ingredients to give more flavour to your infusion. You can choose from mixtures with fruits which are very well liked by the beginners drinking yerba mate or order a more herbal blend which makes for an excellent cold mate, known as Terere.
- Mate Cocido: people who are on the run or that prefer a softer version of mate drink will enjoy drinking it in tea bags. Brew it as a regular tea in your cup and enjoy this alternative type of yerba mate tea.
- Chimarrao: this is erva mate as its called in Brazil, where it comes from. Its a fresher version of yerba mate tea as the leaves are not aged and they are grounded so finely that its almost powder. This gives this erva mate tea an intense green color and fresher taste.
Rich In Antioxidants And Nutrients
Yerba mate contains several beneficial plant nutrients, including :
- Xanthines: These compounds act as stimulants. They include caffeine and theobromine, which are also found in tea, coffee, and chocolate.
- Caffeoyl derivatives: These compounds are the main health-promoting antioxidants in the tea.
- Saponins: These bitter compounds have certain anti-inflammatory and cholesterol-lowering properties.
- Polyphenols: This is a large group of antioxidants, linked to a reduced risk of many diseases.
Interestingly, the antioxidant power of yerba mate tea seems to be slightly higher than that of green tea .
Whats more, yerba mate may contain seven out of nine essential amino acids, in addition to nearly every vitamin and mineral your body needs (
However, the tea contains very small amounts of these nutrients, so its unlikely to make a large contribution to your diet on its own.
SUMMARY Yerba mate is an antioxidant powerhouse that contains many beneficial plant nutrients.
Read Also: Do They Have Boba At Dunkin
What Does The Word Yerba Mate Mean
Yerba is the Spanish word for Herb. Mate is from the Native American Guarani language, and it means Cup. Yerba Mate means Herb of the Cup.
Many North Americans think Yerba Mate is the brand-name of a tea company. Still others refer to Yerba Mate drinks as Yerbas. Both of these are incorrect. When referring to the actual tree, Argentines say Yerba Mate. When referring to the dried herb ready for brewing, they say Yerba. And when they are talking about the drink, they say Mate.
Another common mistake is people spelling Yerba Mate with an accent over the final e. This actually translates as “I killed the herb.”
While you don’t need to speak like a local to enjoy yerba mate, we hope this helps you feel more comfortable!
Benefits Of Yerba Mate Tea
- Antioxidant powerhouse surprisingly even more than green tea and contains most of the amino acids the body needs.
- More energy and better focus Yerba Mate has more caffeine than other teas, but less than coffee. This caffeine increases your energy, while improving ones focus. This is all realized without the jitters from drinking coffee. Why? The slow release of the caffeine adhered to the tannins.
- Weight Loss Yerba mate may lessen your desire for food, while increasing the fat the body uses for fuel by boosting metabolism. This could go a long way toward weight loss.
How to Prepare Yerba Mate Yerba mate is traditionally served in a gourd and is taken in through a metal straw that filters the leaf. If you dont have a proper gourd, its OK. You can use a French Press. Good news! The leaves can be used several times, which only increases their strength. Yerba Mate tea main be enjoyed with lemon juice, milk or sugar.
Recommended Reading: Best Premade Long Island Iced Tea