Are Tea Bags Good For Your Eyes How To Reduce Puffy Eyes
By: Author Jase BB
They say that a persons eyes are like a window into their soul. But what about if youre feeling tired, stressed, and its starting to show? After a long day, millions of people love to unwind with a cup of tea, maybe a classic novel, or just some trashy mindless television. Maybe soak the feet?
Despite the fact that some tea bags can be nice to look at visually , weve had a handful of people asking us about if they have any other benefits to our eyes, maybe something a little bit less abstract
Do Tea Bags Under Eyes Actually Work
Whether you have dark circles, puffiness or even rosacea, applying various types of tea bags underneath your lids can actually make more of a difference than you think. If you’ve ever used a hot or cold compress for swelling before, you’ll know that various temperatures can be powerful medicines, only this time, your compress contains antioxidants.
The anti-inflammatory benefits of tea are well-documented, and you don’t have to ingest the tea to reap them. One of the main ingredients that may help reduce swelling comes from the tea’s caffeine content. Since expanded blood vessels can lead to puffy under eyes and bags, the stimulative properties of caffeine may aid in reduction of these symptoms. But, these benefits may come from another source. According to Mindbodygreen, one study found that reduced swelling from a caffeine-containing eye cream more likely stemmed from the cooling effects of the substance.
Cold tea bags actually may prove to be the best option when using them for dark circles. Because they form a small ice pack that fits conveniently under your eyes, cold tea bags could actually be the instrument that shrinks your blood vessels, the outlet notes. With a high antioxidants content as well, cool tea bags could have you seeing anti-inflammatory results over time.
Do Tea Bags On The Eyes Really Work
Because tea bags have tannin in them this makes them great for any swelling, discolouration and bags under the eyes says Lewis. Tannin has a proven anti-inflammatory effect, helping to reduce puffiness and dark circles through lifting fluid build up and tightening the skin.
Better still, the caffeine in tea bags acts as an antioxidant. Caffeine is a diuretic which means that it helps to drain swelling and take congestion down on the eye. Thats why caffeine is often used in cellulite products its a stimulant and gets the blood flowing. And when you have good microcirculation this brings oxygen and nutrients to the skin, says Lewis.
You May Like: Arnold Palmer Spiked Nutrition Facts
Tea Bags For Eye Puffiness
Eye puffiness is something that most ladies struggle with, and no lady loves the puffy eye look. Sometimes, you have to pull an all-nighter when you are caught up with a deadline. The end result is never pretty for your skin and eyes possibly acne breakouts with puffy eyes or dark circles.
Tea Bags for Eye Puffiness
So, to make puffy eyes go away, you can try using tea bags. The caffeine of tea is full of antioxidants that have anti-inflammatory effects. This effect of the caffeine helps reduce the puffiness as it increases the blood circulation in that area. You can go for black and green tea bags for this purpose.
Ways To Reduce Dark Circles Under Your Eyes
There are a lot of old wives tales when it comes to beauty tips and secrets, and many of them can be taken with a grain of salt. Lets look over some of the other things people use, to start with
Avocado: People put avocado pieces on their eyes, or use them to create a paste to allow under the eyes.
Metal spoons: Some people will get a couple of spoons cold by putting them in the fridge, freezer, or simply running them under the tap, and then hold them over their eyes for a minute or two for quick relief.
Hemorrhoid cream: This is a secret weapon or sorts for models, actresses, and so on. Its not a bad idea to use a fresh bottle if youre going to start rubbing it on your face, and make sure youre very careful to avoid getting any in your eyes. It probabally wont smell to great, either.
Cucumbers: Some people like to slice up cold cucumbers and put the slices on their eyes to relax.
One common trait, aside from things like hemorrhoid cream and other medications, is that these methods to reduce puffy eyes all involve cool or even coldness.
Recommended Reading: Does Green Tea Help With Kidney Stones
Preventing Swollen Eyes At Home
If you frequently suffer from swollen eyes, avoiding triggers is critical. Regularly taking allergy medications and avoiding irritants such as certain eye makeup, pollen, dust, pet dander and chlorine from swimming pools can help stop the problem of swollen eyes before it begins.
If you play sports, consider wearing protective eyewear like sport glasses or goggles in order to prevent eye injuries that may cause swollen eyes.
For the overall health of your eyes, see an eye doctor once a year for an annual eye exam and evaluation.
Schedule an exam
Donât Miss: Does Herbal Tea Make You Lose Weight
Types Of Tea Bags To Be Used For Different Types Of Eye Irritation
There are different kind of issues about eyes, and if you use the corrosponding tea bags, it will be more effective for you.
- Puffy eyes, dark circles, black eye, and swollen eyes If you have these issues, you can utilize green or black teas, as the existence of caffeine in these two kinds of tea have the possible to keep the skin tight. The flavonoids and the tannins present in these are antioxidants which can tighten the skin and together with caffeine these constrict the blood vessel and provide an incredible anti-inflammatory result.
- Pink eyes, rosacea, and red eyes All these three issues are the result of irritated eyes and the very best types of tea bags for this are calendula, chamomile, green, fennel, and rooibos teas. These have the capability to reduce the soreness and relieve the eyes. These likewise have antimicrobial properties which can keep bacteria at bay.
- Dry eyes and stye Generally black tea bags are chosen in these 2 issues due to the high content of tannin which has antibacterial and analgesic properties. In this manner ensures that the swelling and inflammation get managed. Nevertheless, make certain that you use warm black tea for dry eyes.
- Fine lines and wrinkles If you have fine lines and wrinkles that develop as you age, then attempt utilizing rooibos and green tea, and these will offer you a positive result.
When you know which tea bags to use, then it is time to understand how to use them.
Recommended Reading: Is Boba At Starbucks
Caesalpinia Pulcherrima Tea Bags For Inflammation
Caesalpinia pulcherrima, also known as peacock feather or Barbados Pride, can help treat various eye afflictions. For example, if you have bags under our eyes because of not sleeping enough, you can use these tea bags to help.
The anti-inflammatory properties of this herb not only help with your eyes, but they also help lower any inflammation of the liver, lower a fever, and treat bronchitis and asthma.
- To use these tea bags to reduce circles or bags under your eyes, first make tea like normal, and then put a warm or cool tea bag on each eye.
- Leave them there for about 15 minutes, or longer if your bags are really bad.
The Pros And Cons Of Using Tea Bags
- Tea bags are a naturopathic remedy to cure dark circles and under-eye bags. This holistic approach is safe for your skin if used correctly.
- Tea bags are inexpensive and can be bought in bulk. You can have a mini spa day at home whenever you like!
- Tea bags are super accessible. You could easily pick some up from your local grocery store.
- You can hurt yourself if you use hot tea bags! Be sure to check the tea bags temperature before placing them on your skin. The tea bags should feel warm and soothing when placed on the skin, but never hot or scalding.
- Tea bags often come with staples, so check each bag before placing them on your eyes. Having a sharp piece of metal near your eyes is never a good idea!
- Bleached tea bags are commonly found in grocery stores. If youd like to place tea bags on your eyes, read the packaging to make sure that you buy unbleached tea bags . Bleach may irritate your skin and eyes.
Don’t Miss: Iaso Raspberry Tea Ingredients
Mentioned Below Are A Few Tips That Make Things Easier For You
- The first and the most significant step is to do a patch test for each tea bag that you wish to use on your eyes.
- Make sure that tea does not get into your eyes while you leave the tea bags on your eyes.
- For best results, apply tea bags immediately after you take them out of the refrigerator.
- Remember never to use the same tea bag for the treatment, twice.
- Also, if you wish to add something extra to your tea like tulsi, cucumber, potato, etc. Consider removing tea bag before adding other things to the tea.
- It is harmful to open your eyes while the tea bags are in use. It will make tearful and swollen.
- Always keep in mind that it is unhealthy to use warm tea bags, therefore, you need to let them completely cool in the refrigerator and then apply to your eyes.
Apart from this, by now we have made you aware of several health benefits of drinking tea. Thus, along with this treatment, if you consume any of the teas on daily basis, it will help your eyes heal even faster.
Use It Directly On The Eyes Or Place It In The Fridge
If you are someone who chooses warm tea bags, then put the bags on the eyes until they cool, or you can also put a cotton ball on your eyes and after that place the tea bags on it to let the eyes get cool. In case you do not desire to place warm bags on the eyes then keep the bags in the refrigerator for twenty minutes. Tea bags from the refrigerator work much faster than the warm ones, as this works as a natural astringent, however the warm ones offer more comfort.
Read Also: How Do You Get Tea Stains Out Of Carpet
Using Chamomile Tea Bags
Cool compresses are widely recommended for swollen, puffy eyes, as well as the application of cool tea bags. To use chamomile tea bags for swollen eyes, seep two tea bags in steaming water. Let the bags cool completely. Lie down and place the tea bags over your eyes.
- Cool compresses are widely recommended for swollen, puffy eyes, as well as the application of cool tea bags.
- To use chamomile tea bags for swollen eyes, seep two tea bags in steaming water.
Tea Bags For Eyes: Benefits & How Tos
Tea is one of the most popular drinks on the planet, but many people end up throwing out their tea bags when theyre finished with their morning cup. If they knew how many cosmetic benefits they could potentially get from saving their tea bags, they wouldnt be so quick to toss them in the trash.
Used tea bags can be rested on your eyes to reduce dark circles, reduce puffiness, and reduce irritation. The active ingredient in tea bags that helps to rejuvenate the eyes is caffeine. Tea also contains antimicrobial agents that can help fight eye infections.
Tea bags are easy enough to compost or toss, but before you do, try adding them to your beauty arsenal first. There are even more benefits to choosing tea bags for eye care over other eye products. Read on to learn more about these advantages and why you should put used tea bags on your eyes.
This post may contain affiliate links. My full disclosure policy is sort of boring, but you can find it here.
Don’t Miss: Dunkin Popping Bubble
How Do You Make An Herbal Bath How Do You Make Tub Tea
Herbal bath tea bags are really simple to make. All you need is a muslin bag to serve as the tea bag and all of the ingredients that you plan to use for your tub tea.
Other bath tea ingredients outside of dried herbs include:
- Epsom salt: the ultimate herbal bath addition as it can help aid in the relief of insomnia, aching muscles, bruises, sprains, and more.
- Powdered milk: great for helping exfoliate and renew the skin
- Coconut oil: coconut oil has fantastic moisturizing benefits. It can be used in conjunction with epsom salt for a detox bath.
- Oatmeal: oatmeal is a great option for helping to relieve dry or itchy skin.
- Honey: combined with milk, milk and honey baths can have rejuvenating properties that can aid in relieving skin irritations.
Also Check: Popping Bubble Dunkin
Cut Back On Salty Foods
Eating too many salty foods may be at the root of your under-eye bags. Salt contributes to your bodys fluid retention and can make you puffy overall. It may also lead to other health issues, like heart disease and stroke.
The American Heart Association recommends consuming or less of salt each day. Ideally, adults should consume no more than 1,500 mg of salt each day.
As a guide, heres how many milligrams are in different teaspoon measurements of salt:
- 1/4 tsp = 575 mg sodium
- 1/2 tsp= 1,150 mg sodium
- 3/4 tsp = 1,725 mg sodium
- 1 tsp = 2,300 mg sodium
Read packages carefully to see how much salt is in your favorite snacks. One way to immediately lower the salt in your diet is to avoid eating packaged, processed foods. Instead, try eating a diet based more on whole foods fresh fruits and veggies where you can control the salt content.
You May Like: Popping Bubbles Dunkin Donuts
Black Tea And Green Tea
Black tea and green tea contain polyphenols, caffeine, and certain minerals. Some of these compounds may have protective or disease preventing properties.
Polyphenols act as antioxidants and may protect against free radical induced damage. Polyphenols include many different components, including epigallocatechin-3-gallate .
Some research suggests that EGCG has anti-inflammatory effects. Additional studies suggest that polyphenols may:
reduce swelling and pigmentation.
The authors of a 2018 study found that people who drink hot tea daily were 74% less likely to have glaucoma than those who did not drink hot tea.
Although many studies have looked at the health effects of black, white, and green tea, the note that it is currently unknown whether or not they have any conclusive health benefits.
Are There Benefits To Using Tea Bags On Your Eyes
A home remedy for treating minor concerns regarding redness or irritation, inflammation , or red eyes is to place tea bags on the eyes. This is an affordable self-treatment you can use at home.
This treatment can reduce discomfort associated with some minor issues. It is not a substitute for prompt medical treatment for serious issues or even minor infections, but it has been found to be beneficial in some cases.
You May Like: Caffeine In Peach Snapple
How To Use Tea Bags For Dark Circles:
Soaked and cooled tea bags can be placed directly on dark circles.
- Steep 2 tea bags in a glass of hot water for few minutes.
- Squeeze the bags to remove any liquid.
- Place in a refrigerator for about 15 20 minutes to cool.
- Wash your face with cool water and pat the skin dry.
- Lie down and place the chilled tea bags on eyes.
- Leave for 15 20 minutes before removing.
- Rinse your face with cool water to reduce inflammation.
- Repeat 2 3 times daily.
- Or you can place the tea bags in cool water rather than the fridge and use them directly.
- Alternately, place unused teabags in freezer and apply this on the eyes.
- Place 2 tea bags or dried chamomile herb in a cup of hot water.
- Steep for a few minutes and take out the tea bags.
- Let the tea cool for a few minutes and then dip two cotton pads in it.
- Squeeze them to remove excess liquid.
- Place on a plastic wrapper or in a zip lock bag.
- Refrigerate it for few minutes and let it sit for 30 seconds to cool down.
- Apply under the eyes for 15-20 minutes.
- Remove and wash the area with water.
Follow the above process for all tea bags. Here are the properties of different tea bags to know how effective they are to treat dark circles.
Common Symptoms Of Eye Infections
A viral, bacterial, or fungal infection in or around your eye will cause a number of symptoms ranging from mild to severe. Mild eye infections can be treated effectively using home remedies to reduce inflammation and help the eye heal properly.
According to Dr. Kathleen Romito from WebMD, some symptoms of eye infections that can be treated at home are:9
- A feeling of something in your eye.
- Redness around your eye or eyelids.
- A small amount of discharge.
- Watery eyes.
However, if you have other symptoms like pain in your eyes, increased sensitivity to light, fever, impaired vision, and discharge, you should always have your eye evaluated by a doctor.
Read Also: Dunkin Donuts Popping Bubbles Ingredients