How To Make Long Island Pitcher
If you are scaling the cocktail to serve at a party then add all the ingredients apart from the coke into a pitcher and chill. Add ice to the pitcher just before serving and give everything a good stir. Pour into glasses filled with ice and top with cold soda.
This is an simple drink to scale up simply multiply 15 by however many servings you want. To serve a crowd of 8 for example you will need 15x 8= 120ml of each of the spirits, lime and lemon plus ice and coke.
Its easy to pour very generous measures if you are making a pitcher so be careful when serving your party could get out of hand very quickly!
How Do You Mix Barton Long Island Iced Tea
by10 septembre 2021, 14 h 00 min1.4k Views184 Votes
This delicious 75-proof product contains rum, gin, vodka, tequila and triple sec. Just add cola and sweet and sour mix for a convenient, consistent, cost-efficient Long Island Iced Tea in a fraction of the time! Bartenders will love the convenience and customers will love the taste.
Consequently, What is on a desert island?
Desert island can be a confusing phrase. In fact, the definition is simply « an island where no people live, » so the desert in desert island is actually an archaic form of deserted: it refers to an island that is uninhabited, not one that is covered with sand .
Also question is, What do you mix Captain Morgan Long Island Iced Tea with?
- Fill a glass with ice and pour in the Captain Morgan Original Spiced Gold, vodka, tequila, gin and triple sec.
- Add the simple syrup and lime/lemon juice and top up with Cola. Stir well.
- Garnish with a slice of lime or orange.
Besides How much is a Long Island iced tea at a bar? Long Island Iced Tea Average price $9 tequila $0.40.
Also, Do liquor stores sell Long Island Iced Tea?
CutWater Long Island Iced Tea Can 4 Pack | Quality Liquor Store.
What 5 things would you take to a desert island?
10 must-have items when trapped on a deserted island
- A knife.
Do I Have To Use Premium Brand Alcohol
Its safe to say that you get what you give with a Long Island Iced Tea, meaning that the better the ingredients, the better the finished cocktail.
However, having said this, you dont have to break the bank here and weve created a middle shelf version.
Lets look at the alcohol ingredients.
- Tequila weve used a silver tequila, not the most expensive but it works.
- Vodka you probably want to avoid the store label brands, pick a vodka that you enjoy drinking.
- Golden Rum weve used golden, but you could use a white rum if you prefer.
- Gin just like the vodka, avoid store own brands, use you preferred gin but dont go high end.
- Triple Sec Triple Sec is a sweet orange liqueur you could replace it with the slightly more expensive Cointreau but just know that Cointreau has a higher alcoholic content.
You May Like: Does Green Tea Lower Blood Sugar Levels
Long Island Iced Tea Ingredients
The Long Island Iced Tea is a highball cocktail made with 5 liquors: vodka, tequila, rum, gin and orange liqueur. When mixed together with cola the drink has a brown color, just like iced tea . The modern version of this cocktail was most likely invented in 1972 by a bartender in Long Island, New York: hence the name.
The LIIT took off and became so popular that it made the list of the International Bartender Associations IBA official cocktails! This means that it has an official definition. Whats in a Long Island Iced Tea?
- Lemon juice
Yes, thats a lot of ingredients. Lets talk through why this makes the best Long Island Iced Tea recipe, and then whether there are substitutes!
Variations On The Long Island Iced Tea
The Long Islands popularity has generated its own family of highballs. Many drinks have now become popular in their own right in many parts of the United States, thanks to the success of the original Long Island Iced Tea. Here are some variations:
- The Grateful Dead is a variation on the Long Island that uses the same ingredients as a Long Island but replaces the Triple Sec with a shot of Chambord and the cola with lemon-lime soda.
- The Adios Motherfucker is a Long Island Iced Tea variation made with Blue Curaçao instead of Triple Sec and lemon-lime soda instead of cola. It has a striking blue tint that resembles a Blue Hawaiian.
- When cranberry juice is used instead of cola, the outcome is a reddish-colored Long Beach Iced Tea. When Midori is swapped for Triple Sec, and lemon-lime soda is substituted for Coca-Cola, the result is a greenish Tokyo Iced Tea.
Also Check: Is Snapple Diet Tea Good For You
How To Make A Long Island Iced Tea
These step by step photos and instructions are here to help you visualize how to make this recipe. Please scroll down to simply !
Remember, this cocktail packs a wallop, so consume responsibly and make sure you have a designated driver if not drinking at home. Theres a lot of alcohol in a Long Island Iced Tea, and if youre drinking it through a straw it will hit you a lot faster than you might think!
Grateful Dead / Purple Rain / Black Superman
All these names constitute the same variation for a long island iced tea where the Triple sec is replaced with Chambord.
Chambord liqueur has a 16.5 percent alcohol volume and is a raspberry-flavored liqueur modeled after a liqueur made in Frances Loire Valley.
The cola of this version for this version of the long island iced tea is also replaced with lemon-lime soda.
These two ingredients give the cocktail a dark hue, and thus that is how the names were established.
Read Also: Hibiscus Tea For Sleep
Why This Drink Is So Popular
This drink is famous, no doubt about it.
You do have to be careful when enjoying a Long Island Iced Tea because the alcohol content is quite a bit higher than most highball drinks. So be sure to enjoy them responsibly. But that is why this drink is so popular, because you can feel it pretty quickly.
This popular drink is made by combining vodka, tequila, rum, gin, and triple sec, then mixing those with sweet and sour mix. Everything is topped off with cola and served in a tall glass over ice. It looks like iced tea, but its not.
How To Make The Long Island Iced Tea Cocktail
After you measure out the ingredients, pour into cocktail shaker.
Gather the ingredients tequila, gin, gold rum, vodka, triple sec, lemon, simple syrup and Coca-Cola.
Measure 2 ounces tequila.
Measure 2 ounces gin.
Measure 2 ounces gold rum.
Measure 2 ounces vodka.
Measure 2 ounces lemon juice.
Measure 1 ounce triple sec.
Measure 1 ounce simple syrup. I didnt take a photo of it for some reason. Maybe all the booze got to my head even though I hadnt drunk any yet.
Add more ice to the two glasses, cap the shaker, shake for 15 seconds and divide between the two glasses. Get the Cola and lemon wedges.
Fill the glass up with the Coca Cola, which usually equates 1 1.5 ounces per drink.
Squeeze the juice out of each lemon wedge into the cocktails. One per drink.
Lets look at the vertical view.
Remember, that this is a dangerous drink because, if well blended, it does taste like iced tea, so you wont feel how strong it is going down!
I hope you enjoyed this Long Island iced tea cocktail recipe!
Recommended Reading: How Many Carbs In Twisted Tea Half And Half
Frozen Long Island Iced Tea
This frozen Long Island iced tea is a boozy, umbrella-bedecked blender drink riff on the traditional raid-your-liquor-cabinet classic of five liquors topped with a splash of cola that packs a doozy of a wallop. The thing is, this cockamamy combo of liquors actually tastes fairly innocuous. And therein lies the danger.
Classic Long Island Iced Tea
Read Also: Iaso Tea And High Blood Pressure
A Few Substitute Ideas
What if you dont have the entire laundry list of liquors on hand, but still want to make an LIIT? Here are a few ideas for some substitutions:
- Vodka, tequila, or gin: Leave one of these out and double one of the other liquors. For example, if you dont have gin double the tequila. But try to have at least 3 of the 4 main liquors.
- White rum: Use another type of rum if you dont have white on hand. Aged adds a sophistication to the flavor. Or again, you can leave it out and double one of the other liquors.
- Cointreau: Want a Cointreau substitute? Use Triple Sec, Grand Marnier or Orange Curacao.
Long Island Iced Tea Recipe Tips
There is no iced tea anywhere in the Long Island Iced Tea. It is simply the color of iced tea. This is critical knowledge to have if you plan to drink one. The popularity of the Long Island has spawned its own family of highballs.Many drinks remain popular in their own right in numerous locales throughout the United States, while owing their existence to the success of the original Long Island Iced Tea. Most variants use equal parts of the main liquors, but include a smaller amount of triple sec .
Close variants often replace the sour mix with lemon juice, replace the cola with diet cola or actual iced tea, or add white crème de menthe. Most variants do not include any tea. If this drink is treated with respect and the person pouring keeps in mind that taste is more important than potency, the Long Island Iced Tea is a good drink.This Long Island Iced Tea recipe is an easy one to throw together in a big pitcher for a party. I wait until just before the guests arrive, then mix everything together in a bowl with ice. Strain it into a pitcher and serve!
You May Like: Different Types Of Long Island Iced Teas
What Are The Best Spirits For A Long Island Iced Tea
- Quality value Tequilas like Espoln Tequila Blanco and El Jimador Silver are great options.
- Bacardi White Rum or Captain Morgan are excellent choices. Theyre good rums that arent too expensive.
- A good vodka, such as Titos Handmade Vodka or New Amsterdam Vodka, is all that is required for a Long Island Iced Tea.
- Long Island Iced Tea pairs well with classics like Beefeater or Tanqueray, as well as New Amsterdam Gin.
- Although Cointreau is a well-known brand of triple Sec, feel free to use one that is less expensive, such as DeKuyper. Even though Grand Marnier is a combination of cognac and triple Sec rather than straight triple sec, its a good substitute if thats all you have.
What You Need To Make A Long Island Iced Tea
To make a Long Island Iced Tea, youll need the right glass. Traditionally, the cocktail is served in a Highball Glass.
You cant make a Long Island Iced Tea without all the alcohol in the world. Here are the brands we recommend.
Starting with Vodka, theres only really one brand on the list. Smirnoff Vodka. You cant beat it for price and its great quality too. For making cocktails, thats all we really need.
For Tequila, the decision isnt as clear cut.
In our How to Make a Quick & Easy Margarita cocktail recipe, I examined just which Tequila is the best to use to make cocktails with.
To summarise, we ruled out Fortaleza Reposado Tequila because it was a little too expensive to use as a cocktail ingredient. Its a perfect Tequila for sipping though.
Ultimately, I went with either Olmeca Altos Tequila Plata or Sauza Silver Tequila. This is because these two brands of Tequila are of great quality for a reasonable price the perfect criteria for making cocktails with.
We have the same situation with White Rum as we did with Vodka. Theres one clear winner here. Its a brand thats synonymous with White Rum and comes at a great price too.
Also Check: Where To Purchase Smooth Move Tea
How Strong Is Long Island Iced Tea
The five liquors make Long Island iced tea seem like a strong drink, but if you do the math, it’s not terribly potent compared to other cocktails. When you pour 80-proof liquors, 60-proof triple sec, and top it with 2 ounces of soda, its alcohol content falls in the 16 percent ABV range. That is about the same as a strong rum and Coke and half the strength of a gin martini.
More Cocktail Recipes You Should Try
- Mexican mulemade in just 2 minutes, this is a refreshing ginger fest!
- Whiskey sourfull of bourbon flavor, this is a sophisticated sour and stylish cocktail.
- Pornstar martiniyou have GOT to try this passion fruit cocktail, its out of this world!
- Vodka sunriselight and refreshing, this 3-ingredient cocktail is so easy!
Recommended Reading: How To Make Matcha Milk Tea
On Long Island How Many Shots Are There
3 shots =.75 oz vodka +.75 oz gin +.75 oz rum +.75 oz tequila +.75 oz tequila + 1.5 oz triple sec Long live the LIIT, the king of alcoholic dive bar drinks. This monster still has two full shots of pure hard alcohol in addition to the lower-proof triple sec. It is, after all, towards the bottom of the list.
Ingredients In Long Island Iced Tea
When there are equal parts of five liquors in a cocktail, one liquor should not overpower any of the others. The goal is to achieve balance in the cocktaileven one that packs as much of a punch as the Long Island Iced Tea. To do that, you’ll need quality spirits, but not necessarily high-end spirits.
Top shelf bottles, or small-batch artisanal spirits from the local distillery, can be used in this recipe, but their nuances will get lost in the mix. The LITas a bar server would call itis perfectly happy with the tried and true middle shelf brands of these spirits.
- Tequila: Tequila Blanco is an unaged tequila that’s also known as silver or white tequila. Espolòn Tequila Blanco and El Jimador Silver Tequila are quality value rums that will work well in an LIT.
- Rum: Captain Morgan White Rum or Bacardi White Rum work really well in a Long Island Iced Tea. They’re good rums that don’t break the bank.
- Vodka: An LIT doesn’t need your favorite vodka, just a well-made vodka, like Tito’s Handmade Vodka or New Amsterdam Vodka.
- Gin: Standards such as Beefeaters or Tangueray are perfect for Long Island Iced Tea, as is New Amsterdam Gin.
- Triple Sec: Triple Sec is a sweet, orange flavored liqueur. Cointreau is one brand of well-known triple sec, but feel confident using one that has a lower price tag such as DeKuyper. If Grand Marnier is all you have in your liquor cabinet, it’s a fine alternative even though it’s a blend of cognac and triple sec, not straight triple sec.
You May Like: Twisted Tea Nascar Driver